July 7, 2009

Menu Planning

I have always intended to plan a weekly menu for dinners around our house. I even have a folder with recipes I have ripped out of mags or printed off from websites. Darling husband and I didn't really get serious about any of this until we realised that Baby Poutine was on his way... for realsies.

So far our plan goes like this:

We each come up with 3 recipes that we will cook sometime over a 2 week stretch. The rest of the days are filled with leftovers, quick meals for when the other partner is not home and occasionally take-out. It only takes about 1/2 hour every 2 weeks to choose the recipes and has so far saved us time and money at the grocery store.

Some meals we have had over the past month have included:

- Flank Steak over Corn Kernel Polenta with Tomato, Basil and Balsamic salad

- Couscous Stuffed Cornish Hens with Roasted Carrots

- Baked Sausage, Fennel and Potatoes with Fontina Cheese

- Lo-Fat Buffalo Chicken Bites with Sweet Potato Fries and Dipping Veggies

- "Sunny's" Cheese Steaks with Red Peppers and Avocado

- Pork Paprikash

1 comment:

MenuManiac said...

Danielle,

I love planning the weekly meals.I find if I can at least plan our 3-4meals and buy the ingredients on Sunday, it saves us money and certainly time.

Last night I made lamb burgers with feta, parsley and pinenuts. We grilled some eggplant along side the burgers and stuffed pitas with the burgers and some hummus. Quick, healthy weeknight meal.

I'm sure it was from a recipe but I couldn't remember where so I just made it up.

Take care!
Jordana